The Alberta Bilingual Municipalities Association (ABMA) is an initiative that began in November 2010 and is modeled after the Association of Manitoba Bilingual Municipalities (AMBM).
Originally known as the “Concerto Network”, the ABMA brings together Alberta municipalities that wish to highlight the added value of bilingualism for sustainable economic development. Its economic, social and cultural contributions help increase the influence of these communities. The Concerto Network became ABMA in the spring of 2017.
Since the ABMA does not yet have funding to support its ongoing activities, it is the CDÉA that contributes to the ongoing activities and tries to secure funding that will eventually allow the ABMA to fly on its own wings.
HISTORY OF THE ASSOCIATION
To unite municipalities by promoting their prosperity through bilingualism.
Our mission is to advocate for economically vibrant, sustainable, bilingual communities through a collaborative network of municipalities.
- Believe in our organization.
- Empower or help others.
- Be excited with our decisions.
- Provide guidance and communication with municipalities.
- Provide confidence in our projects.
- Collaborate with the municipalities.
- Bring people together to brainstorm ideas.
- Find common ground between municipalities, administrations and other organizations to support members and share successes.
- We value the diversity of our communities.
- In our progression, communications and decisions, we will strive to reflect our diverse contexts and needs.
FOR THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF ABMA MEMBERS
Attracting Bilingual Skilled Workers
Developing initiatives in green economy
OF ABMA MEMBERS
Contribute to the competitiveness of municipalities in relation to those where French is less prevalent and promote the contribution of bilingualism to the regional economy.
Increase the attractiveness of municipalities by opening them up to the various possibilities of collaboration.
Build a dynamic Francophone business community through better access to Francophone entrepreneurs
Encouraging economic vitality and sustainable growth of municipalities
Highlight the presence of entrepreneurs and increase new business synergies
Ensure provincial, national and international visibility